We get a lot of emails about holiday go-to sides for special dietary needs… This year the big question is: What do I give those gluten-free family members with turkey? We have you covered. If you do not need a gluten-free version it is equally good with a nice multi-grain waffle as well.
Stuffing, especially those dried boxed ones – can have a lot of sodium,chemical additives, and calories that you can invest in a nice piece of organic pumpkin pie.
This recipe can be done last minute – just ensure the waffles are on hand in the freezer!
Ingredients to serve 4-6+ people
• 2 boxes (12 waffles) Van’s GF frozen waffles, toasted and cut into 1/2″ cubes
• 2 medium white onions finely chopped
• 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
• ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary
• ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
• ¼ teaspoon organic dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon organic dried sweet basil
• 1/3 cup organic dried cranberries (optional)
• ½ teaspoon organic maple syrup (optional)
• 1/2 cup unsalted organic butter
• 1-1/2 cups organic low-sodium chicken stock
• Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Tools: Large mixing bowl, toaster, cutting board and sharp knife, medium to large baking dish.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toast the frozen waffles on a medium to high toaster setting until very crispy but not burnt (do a test to get the perfect temperature).
• Let them cool and cut into 1/2 “ cubes and put into a clean bowl.
• Saute onions, celery and herbs in butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. If you are using cranberries add them now to soften and release their natural flavours along with the maple syrup – your kitchen will smell amazing!
• Toss together bread cubes, vegetables, cranberries, maple syrup, and stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the stuffing to a large baking dish. Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes or until heated through.