I like to make tomato sauce from scratch when tomatoes are in season. Unfortunately, this only happens at this time of the year, and many people simply do not have the patience and/or time. My best success both fresh and canned comes from using roma tomatoes. Trust me, the difference is remarkable.
What you need to serve 2-3 people
• 1 can of organic roma tomatoes (must be roma) preferably packed in water or low sodium – please ensure there are no added spices.
• 1 small pack of fresh organic basil (dry will not work in this recipe)
• 2 peeled organic garlic cloves
• 1/2 teaspoon of dry chilli pepper or 1 fresh red Serrano chilli
• 1.5 teaspoons of virgin olive oil
• 10-12 peppercorns whole (you can use crushed ones as long as they are not too fine) -adjust if you are not a pepper fan.
• Sea salt to taste
This sauce is perfect when you really want a quality meal and just do not have any time to commit. Doubling the recipe makes it perfect for last minute dinner guests.
Wash off the basil and keep as much as possible including some steams. Peel the garlic cloves and also open the tomato can to let some air in.
Put the garlic, peppercorns, chilli, salt, and basil into the mini-prep plus. Grind very well.
Next, take the tomatoes individually and add them into the chopper. Retain the tomato water for later.
Pulse the tomatoes for a few seconds. I really mean a few.
Pour this mixture into the sauce pan or bowl. Add the olive oil and tomato water. Mix well and let all the ingredients rest together while you prep the pasta.
I recommend cooking your favourite pasta half way and then start heating the sauce. Cook your pasta pretty al dente and add it to the sauce and simmer for one minute before serving. Be creative and healthful – try kamut or spelt pasta instead of the norm.
This sauce tastes best fresh out of the pan – simmering it loses the freshness and simplicity of the flavours.
Add the fresh grated cheese of your liking.
This recipe has: